- Where is power located, what options are available, what is the cost for tie-in, how will it be tied in, and who will do it? Usually lighting and audio prefer power tie-in near or behind the main stage.
- Is adequate staging available and can it be set up in a timely manner? Is there a cost for staging as well and is the surface appropriate for the show? Is it steady? Are there safety rails? Is a wheelchair ramp necessary and if so, is one available from the venue or must one be constructed or brought in?
- What are the exact dimensions of the room? Where are entrance doors and exits? Where will catering be coming from? Where will bars and other venue-provided services (e.g. buffets) be located?
- Where is the best location for the technical riser?
- Is there a remote house lighting control available
- Where are the hanging points located in the ceiling and what is their load capacity?
- Are there any specific restrictions about installation of equipment or décor such as no nails in walls?
- What will the venue be doing during event setup? There can be no clashes between technical personnel and venue staff, such as setting up tables at the same time as lighting is being flown. Neither can there be conflicting events in other rooms.
- What time is room access?
- Is there easy freight elevator and loading dock access and how long does it take to move from the loading dock to the event location? Will all equipment and props fit into the freight elevator or will they have to be brought in via an alternate route and perhaps even at an alternate time? Can all equipment be moved safely through access hallways and doors?
- Are ladders or automated lifts (e.g. Genie lifts) available for use to help with rigging in the ceiling? Must a venue qualified operator be used?
- Are there green rooms readily available with all necessary amenities for technical personnel and performers?
- Is there an area or spare room set aside for technical equipment container (otherwise known as dead cases) storage?
- What time is strike and will there be any clashes when loading out?
- Where are emergency exits located and where are fire extinguishers located?
- What, if any, are the specific venue safety regulations that pertain to any of the responsibility areas of event production?
Thursday, 21 October 2010
Technical Requirements for Indoor Venues
Once you know the room capacity, then there are many more details to be ironed out for a successful event. Some of the key points to be determined are: