- Adjust individual channel faders on the mixer to minimize feedback and to isolate speeches (i.e. turn off all channels except the speech microphone)
- Adjust individual channel faders for instrumental solos, backup vocalists, or other inputs such as CD/DVD backing tracks, voiceover microphones, video, or PowerPoint feeds
- Prevent feedback by adjusting house EQ and main mixer and individual channel faders
- Adjust effects as needed for best sound quality
- Maintain house volume to an acceptable level for the audience and client
- Adjust monitor levels and fine-tune monitor mixes as requested by the performers (this task may be assigned totally to a separate monitor engineer).
If you want to learn about audio systems in more detail, including an in-depth explanation of the actual equipment, check out my recent book Special Event Production: The Resources.